Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A trip East

One of the drawbacks of not speaking French is that I cannot call up a place I want to visit and find out what times it is open.  Even if I had the question memorized, the answer would baffle me.

So on Saturday, I drove out to a garden in Remalard, east of here by about an hour and 15 minutes.  I got there at 11:30AM only to find that it was open from 2-5PM.  I was disappointed, but the trip had been beautiful.  So I decided to stop at Alencon on my way back.  It was market day there, apparently, but the market was pretty lame, so I sat in a cafe and had lunch--a beef bourguignon that really hit the spot.  


Alencon is quite large and I drove around its narrow street for a time before I got back on the road home.  I decided to take the back roads through some other smaller towns.  But I was not alone on those roads.  There are a lot of bike riders here.  This was the tail end of a group of about 50 that seemed not to be having a race so much as a tour.

I felt kind of bad sitting in my car since the weather was not great and some of the riders were as old as I am.
I had read somewhere that the Chateau de Carrouges was very lovely and it was on the way, so I stopped.

It's pretty imposing as you enter the grounds.


And what you see after you enter is a real live castle built in the 1300s.
With a working moat.

The castle is open for visits...and should have been open when I was there, but the person with access to the castle was nowhere to be found.  All the doors from the inside courtyard were closed.  More bad luck.
So I just strolled around a bit.  These gates go into a field.  I'm thinking there was a different entrance at one time and this was the way in.
So I went home and took a nap...not a bad way to spend my afternoon off.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of the castle are great. I want to go there now. We have also seen cyclists on the roads and noted that many of them are middle-aged or older. I suppose they are members of cycling clubs.

    ReplyDelete