Monday, April 2, 2012

Paris, Deux

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to the blog.  I am in St. Fraimbault right now, waiting for the news to happen in then United States (It's 3:38PM here-9:38AM on the East Coast) so I can write my newsletter.  I did manage to get the issues done yesterday, so I am pretty confident that this work arrangement will be fine, though I have to say I could really use a nap right now.

Anyway, getting back to my only full day in Paris on Friday.  I decided that, although this was my sixth or seventh time in Paris--I could not remember which--I would do some of the touristy things I had not done in a few years.  I got an online walking tour from Rick Steves of the Ile de la Citi and went on my way.  I took the Metro to the Citi stop, which still has the original Art Nouveau sign.
 The station was right next to the flower market where I bought a kitchen clock many years ago and where my sisters and nieces and I had a picture taken among the blossoms about ten years ago, I think.
So I made sure I bought something there for my new house.

I'm sure everyone has seen innumerable pictures of Notre Dame, where I started my walk, but here's a few more.

My favorite part of the cathedral is the statue of Saint Denis, who was beheaded by the enemies of the church but carried his head to a place fairly far off so he could die where he wanted.  So while all the other statues have their heads in the right place, so to speak, Denis is carrying his.
From the church I crossed the Seine to the left bank and saw this display on the bridge.  People are apparently expressing their undying love for each other with locks that they place on the bridge.  Perhaps there are other reasons as well,since the display is more than locks.  I've never seen anything like it, and I have not seen this in Paris before.

Then it was on to Boulevard Saint Michele, also known as Boul Mish, which is also the nickname for Michigan Ave. in Chicago, one of my favorite places.

Right off the road is the Place des Artists, with a lot of cafes that once entertained, and maybe still do, the  great writers of the time.  It was here that I got a good whiff of Frenchness from this accordion player.

A few steps down by the Seine I encountered the fabled Shakespeare & Company English language book store.  In front, an Asian model was posing, probably without the permission of the store, for a very determined Asian photographer.  I went inside for a little while and when I got out I noticed that there was a pile of International Herald Tribune newspapers and a sign that said "take one."  So I did.  Only later did I realize that the paper was dated December 13, 2011.

That's the model on the far right.  By the way, you can always click on the pictures for a larger view and then press escape to go back to the blog.

I had lunch in a cafe in the Latin Quarter, where Latin was once the main language, apparently....a long time ago.  I walked by the church of St. Severen (the French have so many saints I have never heard of!).  I loved the gargoyle water spouts.

As in London's Little Venice and Maida Vale, there appear to be quite a few people who actually live on the river in long houseboats, although these may be for tourist excursions.
I crossed back over to the Ile de la Citi to see the church of Saint Chappelle, which is really gorgeous inside with floor to ceiling stained glass windows.  You really can't see in any of the pictures how really detailed these windows are.  They are spectacular.
Some on the left of this picture are being repaired.  The church also has a rose window like Notre Dame.


There were many planted gardens in bloom in Paris but not nearly as many flowers as I saw last year at this time in London.
At this point I was feeling the jet lag and decided to go back to my hotel.  Here is the view from the balcony there.


Early Saturday morning I was up and making my way to Saint Fraimbault.

No comments:

Post a Comment